Evansville Police Department

Internal Affairs

The primary function of the Internal Affairs Unit is to maintain the integrity of the department. The Internal Affairs Unit acts under the authority of the Chief of Police and reports directly to the Chief. The unit is responsible for investigating all complaints against the Department or employees of the department. The Internal Affairs Unit serves as the liaison between department officials and the public and attempts to resolve problems in their early stages. The Internal Affairs unit is responsible for receiving, processing, and investigating allegations of misconduct by officers of the department.


The Internal Affairs Unit also receives and reviews all Use of Force, Pursuit After-Action, Shots Fired, and Property Damage reports filed by Evansville Police Department officers. The unit serves as the department liaison to the City Attorney and is responsible for investigating all tort claims and lawsuits filed against the department. The Internal affairs Unit is staffed by one sergeant.


The Internal Affairs Unit is located at Evansville Police Department Headquarters in the Civic Center.


How can I file a complaint?

You can stop by or call the Internal Affairs Unit during business hours or you send your complaint in writing to: Evansville Police Department Internal Affairs Unit 15 NW Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard Evansville, IN 47708

What happens after I file a complaint?

All complaints are investigated by either the Internal Affairs Unit or the accused officer’s immediate supervisor. For relatively serious complaints you may be asked to give a recorded statement and sign your complaint.

Who decides on my complaint?

The accused officer’s chain of command makes the determination if any wrongdoing took place. This determination is made by immediate supervisors on relatively minor complaints and by the Chief of Police on relatively serious complaints.

What happens to the officer after I file my complaint?

If the officer is found to have violated a department regulation, the officer’s chain of command can recommend punishment ranging from formal counseling, to suspension, to making a recommendation to the Police Merit Commission that the officer be terminated.

How can I file a civil claim against the department?

All civil claims, such as an officer damaging property, are handled through the City Law Department. You can contact them at (812) 435-6041.

Does the department ever rule in favor of the complainant and against the officer?

Yes. We recognize that although our officers act professionally the vast majority of the time, they sometimes act in ways that violate our standards.

Contact Internal Affairs

Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Phone: (812) 436-7896
Fax: (812) 435-6175